Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The story of how unlikely things do happen


At our performance this weekend, after we had finished singing I went around to talk to some of the residents who had just heard us sing. Usually after the performances, I’m a bit shy to go around and talk with people mainly because I’m not sure if they want to be bothered talking after sitting for half an hour to forty five minutes watching us sing. But I reassured myself that it they would find it just as interesting as I would once we start talking. Looking around the room I spotted a woman who hadn’t talked to any the performers and sat down and introduced myself. As we began talking about the performance I asked her questions such as “What was your favorite song” and whether the songs brought any certain memories back from her childhood. 

After formalities, I asked her a little about herself. Being a college student, I was curious about how real people got careers versus what you might hear about the penultimate college student getting a huge job right after they graduated. She told me that she had gone to community college but moved back to her parent’s house afterwards to find a job. While working at a grocery store nearby, she randomly bumped into a federal employee who was currently working at the Air Force. As she told me, seemingly from out of the blue, he said she should try to apply for the position of secretary in his department because he thought that she could fit well in the department he was working in currently. So she did and she got the job! The main takeaway I found reassuring from this story was that as long as you keep on setting yourself up to obtain these opportunities, they will keep appearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment